Sunday, December 9, 2012

Back to the Brits



Next week, my kids and grandkids in England will be arriving for the holidays.

Originally, I designed seven posts about my time with them in Oxford.

I managed to produce two, not seven and that's borderline pitiful.  (HERE and HERE)

SIDENOTE: I've also failed to document my 2012 experiences in Romania, Albania, Sicily, Santorini (Greece), and France.  Sigh.  Maybe some day.  

Anyhow, in honor of my kids return, I'm sharing my favorite shots from a fabulous excursion we took back in May:



It was actually a 'country home' for the Dukes of Marlborough.

Winston Churchill was born there.

Just imagine him toddling around in one of the many drawing rooms . . .



. . . or nibbling at his supper here, in a high chair:


My three grandkids were real troopers about handling the walking . . .
and OH BOY did we walk!

They've grown accustomed to lots of walking since they don't have a car in Oxford.  It's the norm over there.
They rent Zipcars as needed. 



The gardens, lakes, and woodlands of the estate are as fabulous as the palace itself.


On one of the lawns, there was a jousting tournament.



The blows were powerful.


In the background of this photo, you can see a downed knight being assisted by a comrade.


Just look at this expression of pure tenacity:


My grandson Kenneth wanted a sword and shield sooooo badly.  He got one.


Despite several sworn promises of safety, the sword was simply beyond his capacity of restraint.


After a few scary "incidents", Daddy exchanged the sword for a Legos castle, 
complete with little Legos knights and dragons.


Hats off to my son who came up with such a creative solution!

The little town of Woodstock is located near Blenheim Palace:


It's ever-so quaint.
I loved this door plate, situated on an unassuming venerable home:



If you're ever in England, be sure to see the Blenheim Palace and the town of Woodstock.



Totally worth it!


Thanks, dear Brit kids, for designing amaaazing excursions for me while I was visiting you in the Old World.

With three kids in tow and a mountain of obligations in Oxford, it was a sweet sacrifice on my behalf.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Argh! I've so much catching up to do. I am sooo behind on reading others blogs. Well, I'm behind on posting on mine too.

I giggled at the last photo of your son's family walking away and the little head poking out looking back from the stroller.

What a magnificent adventure!

Jill Lewis said...

Fun!

Counters Free Counter