Friday, November 30, 2012

Back to My Childhood


October 2012
This is my childhood home in Northern California, outside of San Francisco.

Here's how it looked in 1960 with my sister Patsy out in front:

1960

I had the chance to spend a few days kicking around there,
team-tagging it with my trip to Hawaii.

I visited the following people:
old neighbors (2 of them), 
elementary school friends (2),
high school friends (3)
church friends (2)
niece & nephew (1 each)
cousins (3)
and numerous other fine people (at least 20).

 Sashi and David provided me with fabulous lodgings.


Sashi and I met in second grade and our friendship has survived for the last 53 years.  Wow.

Her husband is from Jamaica and he's so delightful.  (See HERE.)

Taken in 1991
They've also taken on the role of godparents to my three munchkins
who now all have babes of their own. 

Recently, S & D acquired a home in the 'Wine Country', north of San Francisco.

I took this shot on the most gorgeous fall day ever.

They put fresh flowers in my bedchamber and that's just the beginning of their hospitality.
Me, in the 'Wine Country'
As I mentioned, it was my pleasure to visit three dear cousins while in California:

Peter, Margot, and Steve.

Here's Peter:
Cooking Abalone.
True confession: I had a crush on him when I was 12 years old and he was the same age.

During this trip, he treated me to an abalone feast which was absolutely divine.

That sweet guy actually donned a wet suit and swam out into a Pacific Ocean bay and collected the abalone.

This is the colorful shell of an abalone:


Peter pries out the meat and fries it up in the most scrumptious batter.

Like his apron states, it's "The Other White Meat".

In addition to collecting and cooking abalone,
Peter also makes these custom conga & tumba drums:



 If you've always had your heart set on getting a conga drum, head straightway to his website: HERE.


Just have to say, this trip to California surpassed my expectations.  I felt like I was really coming home.

THE BEST PART:

Being enfolded into the arms of dear family and old friends.


April 2012
My son checked out his mom's childhood home while he was in San Francisco on a business trip.

Wasn't that sweet of him?


He and his family of five will be coming all the way from England to be here (in Utah) for Christmas.

HURRAY!



3 comments:

Leah said...

Fun to see these pictures from your trip and childhood!

Jill Lewis said...

Fun post. We will enjoy our visit in a few short weeks!

K said...

Now you have to travel to Hartsdale and take pictures of BOTH our young-selves homes. That still makes me laugh, to think that we lived a block from each other, but at slightly different times. The California house is SO Ca = yours was a more fancy one than ours was. You are amazing, of course - you know the most interesting, off the path folks. And, of course, everybody loves you - my darling girl - everybody.

Counters Free Counter