Sunday, February 5, 2012

The Plug-in Drug


I did lots of things WRONG as a parent. Like, having a quick temper. Sometimes, a VERY quick temper. (I swear it was stress. I was a single mom running a child care center, worried for twenty years about the daycare going under - with good cause.) Anyhooo, I'm going in a different direction . . .

Here and there, I did something RIGHT.
Like, I limited television. Not total abstinence, mind you, but very close.

I know that it's hard to resist at times.
After all, it's the cheapest and most convenient babysitter in town.


However,
you get LESS of THESE kinds of activities when the t.v. takes over:

Dancing
(Arian & Leah)

Outside Play
(Arian & Leah, again.)

Creative Play
(Leah & Kelty)


Activities Which Take Concentration
(Kelty)

Projects Which Take A Very Long Time
(Arian & friend, turning my garage into a space simulator.
It took three or four years.)


After surviving a gzillion tantrums over my stance on television,
I notice that my kids are going in the same direction.

Tee hee!

Being at Leah's home,
I was reminded of the benefits of curtailing the use of the plug-in drug.

Creativity flourished.

These kids hopped all over the house, tied together.
It kept them going for quite a long time!
(Marnie, their friend, is the tall brunette in the middle. My daughter only produces blondes.)


And then there's DRAMATIC PLAY.

I enjoyed several fine episodes of theater productions and . . .

Dancing.


Put on the music and these girls dance their hearts out.
It's always different and always fun.

And then there's MAKING STUFF.


In this case, Avery made a rocket ship and it evolved into some spectacular dramatic play.

Here's Brinley with a snake she made from some clay I got at the dollar store.
ONE DOLLAR can go a long way!


Three cheers for life beyond television!
(and computers and smart phones and iPods, etc.)


In my last post, I neglected to add the shot of baby Reese, Leah, and Grandma Ginger, taken after her baby blessing.

She was blessed to become a peacemaker.

Leah is thrilled about that!

4 comments:

K said...

Yew. We were right. And you did better than I did. And my kids are doing well with it, too - real life. Real play. Real joy.

Rachel said...

We've the same rule at our house. Years ago, Brian's cousin asked him how we got our kids to read so much! Books all over the place.

Get rid of the TV!

It has been a big blessing in our house. There have been years when I've needed to use it. Years while I have been so sick (pregnant) when the kids were little and needed to keep them inside and 'safe'. Thank heavens for PBS.

I would have to say Ginger that you've done a lot right! So very much a lot right!

Arian said...

Yep, it was good in the end. However, I do remember feeling quite deprived at the time because my friends all knew about and talked about what was on TV. It was good that you held your ground. In our fam, we haven't had TV (Cable or Sat) for about 5 years now. Thanks to Jill. We still see a few shows on Netflix but it hasn't consumed our life. Love you mom!

Kelty said...

You've really done a great job with all the photos! I love the frames that you put around them - I think you know photoshop more than Duane or I put together (perhaps you could give us lessons when we come in July?)

I think you are also good at thinking of creative things to do. I still remember the "Mini-lock" that you put on the Television cord so we couldn't plug it in LOL

Counters Free Counter