Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fluffy Icing on Canyon Vegetation

This week we had another snow day.

There have been so few of them, I'm compelled to highlight the magic, once again.

This time, from a different perspective.


Snow piles up on the bony fingers of bare branches , creating dazzling visual effects.

The contrasts bring out things you'd otherwise miss.



I can often tell which way the wind was blowing during the snowstorm by looking at the wild sage.



A tall weed bows under its colossal load.



It's odd to see a remnant of fall in February.

For some, letting go is hard to do.



The patterns of the branches can be dizzying.



Here's another way to experience it, thanks to a little playful manipulation.



If I knew how to dab with paints, this scene would beckon me to grab my palette.

Instead, I create the effect digitally. It's somehow cheating, I know.



Since today I'm dreaming of warm weather,

this final version of this winter shot reflects the longing of my heart.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I love the contrasts. The brilliant white makes everything else stand out.

I'm looking forward to spring this year more than ever. I think it is because we haven't had a real winter so I figure if it isn't going to be winter...... then get out and let spring in!!

K said...

OH - the oak leaves against the snow. Wow. And the tracings of white and black. I want to stare at that line breakdown; I could learn so much about how lines create reality on a page. And isn't is just awfully fun to play with tones and elements?

Kelty said...

I think it truly DOES look like icing on the branches - plus the photo manipulation that you did really brought out the contrasts. Honestly mom, I have seen artwork in studios that doesn't even COMPARE. Have you considered putting your rock canyon work into a book and selling it at the Utah Visitors center? Perhaps you could also make some awesome postcards. Just a thought.

Counters Free Counter