Thursday, July 7, 2011

Independence Day

Why does the 4th of July parade just GET TO ME, year after year?

I can't say, exactly.

The high school marching bands are definitely part of it.

All those kids, making bold and rousing music together . . .




Then there's the gathering of family.

Siblings, cousins and second cousins. A whole new generation rising up.


This year, my brother and two of his kiddos made us proud by running the 5 K Race
which took place early, early - before the parade.

My grandson might tell you that the fire fighters were HIS favorite part of the feastivities.

Personally, I like the fact that floats aren't just about beauty queens anymore -

One never knows what will be coming down the parade route.

Could be legions of Star Wars stormtroopers and other characters from the Galactic Empire . . .


Even the EVIL DARTH MAUL


My grandson wasn't scared one bit. Thought the guy was "way cool."


Our town parade may be unique in the fact that LDS missionaries join in the procession.

Notice the hand-slapper on the right. It's a little like an enthusiastic jazz dance move . . .



Horses and parades go together.

Vaulters doing stunts of daring -

Cowboys sporting dramatic facial hair -

Displays of pure elegance -


SO GREAT to share it all with my son's family, although I couldn't help missing the far-flung kids & grands.



BTW - the darling little dresses were made by the other grandma who is just about as talented as her daughter.

* * * * * *
However, the weekend wasn't just about the parade.

There was also the annual family BBQ at Aunt Tricia's . . .


. . . with little sprouts who jumped on the tramp, ran through the sprinklers,

and cried "PLEASE won't you pull us in the wagon, Uncle Chris???



which he did, of course!

There was badminton for bigger kids,

and cozy spots for even bigger kids,


. . . and a yard big enough for lots of family to chow, romp and gab.



However, the weekend was about EVEN MORE
than the parade and the BBQ.


I'll share soon.


2 comments:

K said...

WOW!! You and I were shooting the same things at the SAME TIME!! Except I was off on the sidewalk and you were RIGHT THERE. I will send you all of the pictures of the house. It's been a mash-up couple of weeks. A little too dizzy for me to keep up with, myself. Funny that we chose the same subjects, too - oh, those Fresians! Once upon a time, we were two tiny families. We filled the chairs with friends - Allen Cherry used to come. But now, all of us have become huge, roistering families - yours much bigger than mine - and our lives are so full.

Rachel said...

Parades make me cry. The flag goes by and I am done for.

Counters Free Counter