Thursday, January 13, 2011

One Degree Above Zero



These icicles are hanging from the edge of my garage roof.

They aren't spectacular in any regard. You can see much larger ones from other roofs.

However I took the photo to illustrate a point:

IT'S CONSIDERABLY COLD IN UTAH.

My spine and internal hardware do NOT like this winter weather.
(In case you didn't know, I have 19 bolts + 2 rods attached to my spine. See HERE.)

I dream of the tropics.

Instead of lying on a beach, I get to witness gorgeous sunsets like this one. It DOES compensate - sorta.


I walked 200 steps from my front door to snap the above photo when the thermometer said 1 degree above zero.

On the back side of this mountain, there's a ski resort where my kids learned to slalom.



My son still loves skiing with his cousins. He sports this Nevada license plate: BORN2SKI

*************************


HERE'S SOMETHING THAT WARMS MY HEART IN THIS COLD WEATHER:

Doing activities with the lovely lassies from my church group.


I recently piled them into a 12-seater van and we headed off to sing for the residents at a local nursing home.

One spunky patient wanted to set up a photo shoot with my little gals. Well, she had VERY specific ideas about WHO should be positioned WHERE and how I needed to form a BRIDGE with one of the girls . . . of her choosing.

Immobilized and obese, her physical life was definitely full of limitations. However, she was in COMPLETE CONTROL as she directed the placement of each one of the girls.

Our musical renditions did not hold her interest in the slightest. That was okay. She had a blast being in charge of the photo shoot and we knew it. Here's her composition:



The Alzheimer's patients DEARLY LOVED our singing. Some were dancing, others were mouthing the words of familiar tunes. A few cried . . . perhaps from the beauty of these young voices. Truly, my little gals are darn good singers. More significantly, they are simply good to the core. They all wanted to return to the nursing home and sing once again.

"Can we do this every week? Please???"

1 comment:

K said...

The icicles were so dang beautiful. And the sunset. You really have an eye and your exposures are (fingers to kissing lips). And how lovely of you to take the girls there. I am certainly with you on NOT loving the cold -

Counters Free Counter