Thursday, January 20, 2011

Coming Home From Galapagos


In 2006, one of my brothers turned the Big Six O.

It was decided that our family would all go to the Galapagos Islands to celebrate his birthday

. . . and have an adventure together.

(A rather poor photo of the six siblings, standing behind a land turtle.)

When we were not traipsing around islands,
we were traveling in a fairly nice sea vessel which took us from place to place.

Here is a better photo of the siblings - with spouses - on the boat.

(Well, most everyone with spouses.)


The Galapagos Islands are the home of the famous


The islands are also the home of several kinds of

IGUANAS


Some of them are really ugly or really beautiful,

depending on your perspective.


BOTTOM LINE: It was an AMAZING & DELIGHTFUL trip.

So, that's actually just the background for my story.

Heading back to the U.S., we embarked from Guayaquil, Ecuador. As I was showing my passport before getting on the plane, I became acquainted with this little gal (below) and her brother.

How old do you think she was?

Not yet two - in diapers. Her brother was three - also in diapers.

SHE WAS NOT SMILING WHEN WE MET.

In fact, she and her brother were hollering with the screams
that children only do when they are IN EXTREME TRAUMA.

An older woman was yanking on the kids' arms and giving them regular swats on the behinds.
Obviously, she was increasing the problem.

I asked the woman (in Spanish) the name of the children.

She DIDN'T KNOW THEIR NAMES.

I quickly discovered the basic elements of the story.

First of all, the mother was gone by the time I came on the scene. Apparently, when the she couldn't get her little ones through the checkpoints without an accompanying adult, she picked this older Ecuadorian woman and asked her to get the children onto the plane and left. (Perhaps she paid her a tip?) Their grandfather was waiting at the other end, in New York City.

NOT ALL OLDER WOMEN UNDERSTAND CHILDREN. At least, this one certainly didn't. She mistook their parental separation trauma as being "misbehavior". This resulted in her swatting, cursing and great annoyance.

So, after the Older Woman forcefully hauled them onto the plane, plunked them down in their seats and we took to the skies, she felt her duty was done and she was thrilled to "check out". The kids were still in trauma.


During decades of doing child care, I dealt with many young children who were separating from their parents for the very first time. I knew certain ways to help them feel safe during that frightful transition.

I moved into the empty seat next to the children, still crying, now exhausted. At that point, they were in basic survival mode. I held the little girl and provided her with the pacifier I found in their carry-on. The boy leaned into me, staring into space. He was full of bewilderment and fear, but he was pretty sure I wouldn't hit him and so he leaned into me. The Older Woman moved away.

Well, it's a long trip from Ecuador to the U.S. and I ended up with a lap soaked with urine because there were no clean diapers in the bag. When the kids got restless, we walked up and down the narrow corridor.

My siblings LAUGHED when they saw me in the aisle. I laughed too. These little ones were sticking with me like glue. I gave them at least a tiny sense of safety and, as a result, they clung tightly to me. Sometimes the little girl would smile and oooooh what a beautiful smile!


The children were still "attached" to me when we de-boarded in the U.S. The Miami airport was chaotic and scary, by any standards. I nurtured them the best I could through this upheaval.

Then, when I got them to the baggage claim area, another Ecuadorian woman rushed up and asked me to take care of HER little one because she was alone and had lost her bags.

Thus, another baby was dropped into my arms and THAT mother was out of sight, in a flash. I didn't even get the mother's name before she hurriedly left. My new acquirement was about six months old.


Here I am with all three of them @ Baggage Claim.

Now my sibs were laughing even more!

"Where did you get THIS one?" they inquired.

It happened so quickly that I quite wasn't sure how I got her.

What was the mom's issue? Was it baggage? Is my Spanish fading away? Am I tired?

It seemed like it was hours and the mother of Child #3 did NOT return. I hauled all three traumatized children to the place where people were lined up to resolve issues with their carriers. Fortunately, I found the mom. Apparently, she missed her connection (not her baggage) and she didn't know what to do. It was HER first time flying. I translated the problem to the American Airline representative and we got her straightened out with a new ticket for later. Then, I said Adios to Child #3 and THAT was good.

Unfortunately, I didn't know what to do with the other two.

Our bags still hadn't been unloaded. An hour HAD past. Older Woman showed up and said she was suppose deposit these "charges" in New York City.

(Maybe another payment on that end?)

For obvious reasons, the kids didn't want to go with her.

I encouraged a more positive connection with the woman, promising that I might be able to get her a real job in the U.S. Truth was, I only wanted her U.S. contact info and her full legal name. On the plane, I had jotted down the kids' passport names and numbers. Armed with all this info, I finally gave her my dear little ones and they cried miserably once again.

Promptly I notified the authorities of the ENTIRE situation and giving names, numbers, and the Older Woman's contact info. I could hear the children screaming as they were hauled away by the O.W.

Did the Ecuadorian Mom #1 think she could simply drop off her two little ones at the airport and the people there would manage getting the kids to their grandfather in the U.S. ?

I'm guessing she had no concept of the issues involved with such a journey. Perhaps she thought that flight attendants would care for children as a part of their responsibilities.

One can only guess what she was thinking . . .

I want to believe she didn't understand.

3 comments:

Robyn said...

WOW. That is an amazing story. You are incredible!! I am so glad you were able to and chose to be there for them. Besos y Bendiciones!

Elwo said...

That is haunting. I hope they're okay and that you can find out what happened.

K said...

Amazing how much use you can be put to in airports, isn't it? Always something people can dump on you. That second woman really took the cake, throwing a baby at a total stranger and running off. Holy cats. At least she hit on the right stranger. Maybe your wings tipped her off -

But I'm with Elwo - how can we help but wonder how it turned out?

Counters Free Counter