Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wild Chickies in Puerto Rico

These are Puerto Rican chicks.

Born to a wild hen.

We put them in a box in the house and covered them with torn strips of paper.

They lived through the night.

Puerto Rican rats would have killed them if we hadn't been so proactive.


Our breakfast came from the back yard.

See the dark orange yolk? Wild hens provide organic eggs which don't look like produce from the store.

Take a second look at the photo.

What is sitting on the small plate in the upper right-hand corner?


Jamon Serrano!

In English: a tasty mountain pig leg

Not cooked, but salted and hung upside down until it's cured.

These delicacies come from Extremadura, Spain.

I ate slice after slice in Mayaquez, Puerto Rico. (I'm turning into a pig!)

Mostly because I adore Spain. . . and everything Spanish.

Furthermore, I am not vegan.

Here I am, sitting on a hammock with Oliva, in her back yard.
She is Puerto Rican, cien por cien.

More importantly, she has a big heart, so common among island people.

Thanks for hosting me dear Colones. I will miss you a ton.




Adios, Puerto Rico. Adios a las gallinas salvajes y gente buena.

1 comment:

K said...

I knew we had essential things in common: we are both carnivores. Lovely images!

Counters Free Counter