Thursday, January 6, 2011

Holiday Wrap-up


Overlooking Chicago's harbor from K & D's dining room. Quite dramatic, don't you think?

I certainly was treated to an EXTENDED Christmas holiday, by all standards.

Here's the parting shot with my wee grandchild RELLA on the morning of New Year's Eve.

(I am wearing festive socks which Ms. Claus of Illinois provided.)



Around 2 p.m. I hopped on a puddle-jumper flight to Ohio
to celebrate with Leah and her gang.

We played Christmas once again,
presents and all!

Here you see my granddaughters, modeling the 5-toe socks
which were a real hit.


Then we went out to bang on pots and ring in the New Year

. . . at 9 p.m. on the 31st. Hey, there are NO RULES on this matter.


The next day was the Sabbath and I neglected to get us photographed in our Sunday Best.

However, I DID get shots of the little imps in the bathtub that evening.

Below, Ms. Aspen with her moist curly locks hanging down in her face.
She is now past her whiny phase and only demonstrated 1 fully-blown Terrible Two Tantrum.

Quite a delightful toddler - and becoming verbally adept!


Ms. Avery is a true clown and reminds me of ME,
in both my childhood looks - especially the smile -
and a sunny and spirited (translation: hyperactive) personality.


And finally, Ms. Brinley,
who broke my heart when she bawled herself to sleep the night before my departure.

Also pretty darn good at funny faces.


I always looked forward to this Grandmother Stage of Life.

However, I couldn't have anticipate the depth of FEELING I would have for these little sprouts.

Tears are falling at this very moment.


I didn't get a photo of Leah nor Cody. Well, I'll honor Leah with a recent photo,
which shows a more serious side.

Truth is, we laughed A LOT together and had such a fabulous Mom + Daughter Time.

Well, maybe this shot IS appropriate, since Brinley wasn't the only tearful gal at my departure.

Besides, it's a fabulous shot of this dear girl. Yikes - I mean, woman.

Good paternal genes.

THANKS, DEAR DAUGHTERS, for the tender care you gave me during my time at your homes. Also, BIG hugs to loyal son-in-laws who stayed up for late night activities and chats even though they needed to leave early the following mornings - DUANE with his demanding job at the Chicago Board of Trade (a walking or biking commute in ridiculously cold weather) and CODY with hospital responsibilities far beyond what the law should require of medical resident. You guys never once made me feel like an imposition. Actually . . .

I felt truly welcomed and fully loved.

In Chicago, there was a stocking full of dear little things, so thoughtfully collected.

In Ohio, there were bedtime munchies waiting in the guest room.

Oh. Last thing, even tho I'm running overtime on this post. I must mention THE MEALS.

For example, a TACO BAR at Kelty's . . .


. . . and the healthy soups and salads at Leah's, such as the SPINACH & PASTA DISH below.


Today, my goddaughter got Trader Joe's soup and toast.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten how to cook.

2 comments:

K said...

I think your socks and the portrait and the mention of Trader Joe's soup really made my day. M is gone to Pixar now, and the house has NO children in it for the first time in weeks, and my eyes are closing, all on their own. I'm going to bed in the middle of the day, and think I won't come out till next week. what a grand time you had!

victoria said...

Um DELICIOUS soup by the way!

Counters Free Counter