Thursday, July 30, 2009

20 Days with Kenneth



Remember that Indomitable Spirit, my daughter-in-law Jill?
The one who is 'Orthopedically Challenged'
like her mother-in-law?


Well, on July 13th, a talented surgeon provided her with
a BRAND NEW right hip.

Which meant I became the primary care giver
of my very dear grandson during her recovery.


20 days of little Mr. Kenneth.

Which translated into LOTS of LOTS of field trips.
Because THIS barely 3-year-old
is a Tornado of Energy.

He burned his share of calories at our local playground.

Although he got a wee bit shy
when a gaggle of girls decided that
he was the most handsome bachelor in the park.

The two local 'Splash Pools' were Manna from Heaven.
Sure-fire entertainment,
day after day.

Although he missed his baby sister Audrey,
he found substitutes along the way.

After approximately 120 - 180 minutes of splashing about,
this little guy was contentedly worn out.
We could towel off and head home.


Somewhere in the middle of our days together,
Kenneth got sick.

Really sick.

My dog 'Chica' was great solace
as he fought off fever and nausea.

After a tearful visit to the pediatrician
- both Grandma & Grandson cried -
he started to mend.

Good thing he's such a fan of baseball.

Watching the hometown games
REALLY HELPED his convalescence.


He cheered with great enthusiasm
when the batter pulled off a great hit.
(Look sideways!)



Another thing which brought him back to Life . . .
PICNICS in the mountains.
We had THIS scenery to edify us
while munching our green beans.


Yes.
I DID feed him green beans on a picnic.
Organic. From the Farmers Market.
He is very fond of them.


I'm so grateful to me dear friend Bonsey
who accompanied me on our first trip in the mountains.



I'm equally grateful
for yet another dear friend, Ms. Newell, who came along
during our second mountain adventure.
She's the one holding the GREEN squirt gun.

My friends supported me.
I needed them.
I am a PROUD co-dependent.


BELOW, Bonsey and I shared fits of laughter
while Kenneth was stomping in the creek
and bossing around my dog.



He also liked playing with
ropes & my hiking sticks.
One never knows what will tickle the fancy
of a high-energy 3 year-old!


But I do know that this little guy
has WON MY HEART.

P.S.
Mom is doing EXCEPTIONALLY well
with her recovery.

And I just KNEW she would.
She's anquestionably
an INDOMITABLE SPIRIT.



7 comments:

Duane Johnson said...

Yay Jill! Keep indominabling!

You're awesome, Ginger!

Duane Johnson said...

Mom,

what a great post! I love the pictures and videos and have decided to follow in your footsteps as I am writing my blog posts (I love visuals) you did a FANTASTIC job, grandma. I love you so much - thank you for the talk yesterday.

Kelty

Robyn Stagg said...

Sooooo cute!! You guys are adorable and I loved the pictures. My favorite picture that didn't have both of you in it was the first one of Kenneth and Chica cuddling. I know when I'm sick my dog is a great help!! Presh.

Anonymous said...

Mom,

You created a delightful & adventursome 20 days for Mr. K. It is special to see my son developing a bond and love with my mom. Incredible to think how the next generation of our family is coming along. Thank you for surrounding him with love and opportunities to grow his body and mind. We love and appreciate your hard work over the last 20 days. Much love!

Your First Born

Jill Lewis said...

Thank You, Thank You a million times over. You are simply amazing.

Kerri said...

This little guy looks a lot like his dad! It's a good thing he has a grandma who can keep up with him.

K said...

I spent four days with Max and it wore me to the basement. I don't know how you did a week, much less almost three. Speaking of indomitable spirits - you have heard, have you not, that boys tend to end up married to mirrors of their mothers?

Do you think he got sick at the public pool? These days I'm very, very anti public pool, which is sad, because it's not like I can build a huge spread of sparkling water like that on my own . . .

Counters Free Counter