Saturday, June 9, 2012

Sevilla, Spain


In 2006, my friends in Spain took me on a surprise trip to Andalusia.

We arrived in Sevilla during the Feria which was an unforgettable experience.


I took the above photos back in '06, long before I was blogging.

I was back in Sevilla this spring. Without the Feria, there was a chance to see other offerings of the city.


Back in the 10th century, the Moors built a fortress and a mosque in Sevilla.

Then, when the Spaniards recaptured the city in the 1400s, they converted it to a cathedral and a palace.


Still, much of the Moorish architecture remains intact.


On the ship, I made friends with a vibrant artist with astonishing necklaces and hats.

Her name is:


When I forgot my camera one day, Lis promised to sketch our adventures and send them to me.

"Don't worry about the camera, Ginger. You have me!"


Anyhoooo, Liz loves Moorish architecture and she gives it a vibrant twist in her paintings:


Pretty fantastical interpretation, don't you think?


The Real Stuff isn't always so kaleidoscopic,


but the patterns can be equally dizzying.


The Spanish King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia use the castle as a 2nd residence.


If I were the Queen, I'd come when the wisteria is blooming.

The fragrance is absolutely DIVINE.

There are some gnarly ole trees in the garden.

Now that's CHARACTER!

The cathedral is magnificent - the largest in the world., if you ignore St. Peters.


Despite it's greatness, the poor apostles have to suffer endless indignities with the local bird life.


These sacrilegious pigeons know no bounds!

I mean, seriously, would you like to be stuck there,
unable to do anything about birds landing on your head and using it for a toilet?

The solemnity of the apostles in stone has now been transformed into a comical scene.

There are some poor stone carvers rolling over their graves.



The Plaza de Espana is lined with lots of tiled alcoves representing the provinces of Spain.

I chose to photograph mural of Avila because I looooove that part of Spain


Here's a shot taken in Avila in 2010 with dear Quique Cantos:



I've known Quique since he was a mischievous little kid and his mom was tearing out her hair because of him.

Nevertheless, he grew up to be a really nice guy and has a jewel of a wife and two fine sons.

Did I ever mention, Spain is my second home?

Taken in 1973.

With the same friend in 2010.


A piece of my heart was planted in Spain a long time ago and there it remains.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Beautiful!! Just beautiful!!!

I now need to add Spain to my bucket list of places I'd like to go visit!!!

K said...

I have been up to my eyes in computer code and manuscript preparation, and so I have not come up for air for weeks. I am refreshing myself at your visual spring, here - first, the magnificent Andalusian gray - WOW. Then at----THE CAPE! THIS was the cape man!! But where are the ribbons? And you look as flamboyant on that stone stair - posed like a flamenco dancer. I know you love it there. But at heart, you were always a bit wild.

Laura said...

Pigeons vs sanctimonious religious statues? Bravo for birds! ~ Cousin Laura

Counters Free Counter