Saturday, March 31, 2012

Out in Africa


I've been gadding about in Morocco and Tunisia.

Yesterday, we traveled along the border between Libya and Tunisia,
as we headed towards the Sahara.

Yes, I rode a camel.

My spine did not like it very much, but I liked it A LOT!
(A photo of ME + Camel coming later.)



Some Berbers are nomadic and live in tents. Others live in caves.

The woman at my side is a cave-dweller, although there were tent dwellers in the same area.

Can't you just tell how dear this woman is by looking at her face?

So much can be communicated with a photo.

BTW, this woman also makes incredibly delicious flatbread which she shared as a gift.


The mosques of North Africa are not ornate, but the carpets on the floor are spectacular.

A young woman and an older gentleman at the mosque.
Daughter and father?
Granddaughter and grandfather?

This is my travel mate - 'Bert'.
She may be almost 30 years older than me, but her heart is young.
She's got the spirit of an adventurer.

Olives from Libya.

4 comments:

Kelty said...

Wowowowowow!

These pictures are incredible! I can't believe you rode a camel (nonetheless - was it the camel in the photo?) I can imagine it would be a bumpy ride, but I'm so glad it was exhilarating :) Way to go mom - you truly ARE an adventurer. We are all cheering you on back here on the U.S. continent.

Love always,

Kelty

arianenewell said...

Looking good!
Chica is doing well also. Sleeping with Em.

Rachel said...

Keep them coming!!! I can't believe this adventure you are on!!!

K said...

Unbelievable. What you must being seeing and smelling and touching - the age, the great difference between here and there. My folks rode camels a million years ago in Egypt and brought me home three little leather camels that I put out at Christmas - and that camel saddle in my long room. What an adventure. But if you are where you are, I'm going to have to start praying for your safety. Laugh if you will. I'm going to.

Counters Free Counter