Wednesday, March 21, 2012

I'm on the Portuguese Island of Madiera.
It's waaaay out in the Atlantic.
The internet connection is close to impossible.

I can't even change the arbitrary order of photos.

So, here you have it.

The men of Madiera love playing dominoes when they aren't out in their fishing vessels.



The women do lots of laundry. By hand, mind you.
The dogs do lots of laying around.
What's this man cutting?
Salted fish which dries in the sun after being caught.
I arrived in Madiera after eight days at sea.
In two days, I'll be on the European continent.
I like sailing. A lot. It's sort of like being gently rocked in a cradle.
Well, except when the ocean is rough.
Then it's TONS of FUN.
Just have to say, I've met some fabulous travelers on this trip.
Many sail around the world year round.
When you're 'at sea' people have time to tell their stories. It's GRAND!

6 comments:

Kelty said...

Oh MOM!

The Madiera Island looks like something out of a storybook! I looked it up on Google Maps, and it truly is a speck of land right out in the middle of the atlantic! What a life, to be sailing year round - I can't wait to hear some of the stories you heard from those people. I am so glad you could put some of these pictures up! Thanks for thinking of your family back on the American continent

Love,

ketly

Kelty said...

By the way - it would really suck (excuse my Utahan) to have to do all the laundry by hand. I barely get it done with a machine!

Duane Johnson said...

I wonder if the men also like Domino's pizza...

Jeri said...

Ging:

Talked to Bonnie today who alerted me to your trip! Who are you with? How many people aboard?

Lana, Del, Al and I leave for the Panama Canal in a week!

Rachel said...

Oh wow........ Keep the images coming as you can...... I'll become a sailor through your photos!

Cathy said...

Madeira was part of my LDS mission. Being assigned there was a coveted honor! Maybe I'll get there someday. Did you eat some bacalao (the dried codfish)? Looking forward to all your travel updates! I'm glad you are good with a camera and words! May the internet be ever at your back!

Counters Free Counter