Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Alpine Loop


It's a FAMOUS scenic drive
. Well, it's celebrated by the locals, that's for certain.


To do it right, you need the better part of a day so you can stop a hundred times and get out of the car and breathe deeply and really, truly TAKE IT IN.


The road is narrow and winds up and up and up. The altitudes are NOT for the faint-hearted. It's definitely ALPINE terrain and the drop-offs can be rather unnerving.


My mom was game right up until her last month of life - just before her 84th birthday. That was the last time I took her. . . the last of many such excursions, punctuated with countless OOHs and AAHs and futile attempts to describe the majesty with mere words.


Photos are, indeed, a superior modality for such descriptions.


My friend, Ms. Luke and I embarked bright and early, packing several components for our picnic lunch, tossing in a fold-out table and two chairs into the back of the Subaru.





Then a decision had to be made.


Do we take the dog or leave the dog?


Good decision.

We began the ascent on the Sundance Side, as it's called, since the road takes you right past Sundance Ski Resort.
In this shot, you can see the ski slopes just beyond the spectacular splash of autumn colors.


My little Subaru climbed nearly 4,000 ft.

After a gzillion hair-pin turns and many stops along the way,
we selected a place to dine al fresco.

Our chosen spot (with a million-dollar view) was quite close to a trailhead, but away from the road.

Convivial hikers were surprised to go around a bend and find us there with a full-on banquet.



The feast included:

homemade guacamole and chips

swiss cheese

yogurt mixed with raspberries from the farmer's market

veggie salad

hummus and romaine lettuce leaves for dipping

dog food for Chica

a quart of home-canned grape juice crafted from the fruit of Ms. Luke's vines


After our banquet, we back in the buggy,
taking in another round of grandiose vistas.



Sooooo worth the $$$ for a tank of gas.


And that, dear friends, concludes the Autumn Wrap-up.

Did you think it would NEVER end?





2 comments:

K said...

I haven't been up there in dogs' years. Too faint hearted, I suppose. Or grounded by more earthly concerns. Or maybe it's just that I'd never try hauling a horse trailer up those tiny turns and non-existant shoulders. That was where I heard my first ghostly sheep, in the drifting fog up along that road one autumn afternoon. I was with a handsome prince who was only a friend in my little sports car. And it was beautiful.

blueroserider said...

Although you are truly an amazing photographer and the vistas were indeed lovely, I have to say your parting shot was my fav in this Gingersnap. Oh, lovely Luke.

Counters Free Counter