Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Birthday



The dear friend ABOVE arrived on the morning of my birthday
with a smile and a bouquet of flowers.

Later on,
this little pumpkin showed up with two sibs and her mom in tow.

They traveled five hours to celebrate with me.

Here's the big sister, Audrey.

Here's the energetic big brother Kenneth.

BTW, I have ALWAYS let the kids climb on the outside of the stair rail
and then jump onto the blue 'Love Sac' which serves as a soft landing pad. You could say it's a tradition.



In the evening, my sister Tricia whipped up some homemade chicken and bean soup
with cornbread
- also homemade - and enough sides for a crowd.



The crowd included my brother and his family.

Here's my bro holding my granddaughter Grace.



Mark, brother-on-law-extraordinaire,
hit it off with Grace's big sister
and he exercised Grandpa-level patience by playing ball 3-year-old style until the meal was ready.



Here's the gang. On the left, you see the darling gal who will soon marry my nephew.
They're getting married on the same day, in the same place as my bro and his wife - his parents. Way cool.



My sister whipped up a KILLER chocolate cake, made with 3 cubes of butter!

The grandkids helped blow out the countless candles.

Tell me, what kid doesn't like THAT traditional birthday activity?




They also like the tradition of Grandma Reading Stories.

Notice the furry critter on the bed.

Also notice the child who likes getting his hand licked as he hears the stories.


It was freezing cold outside on the following morning.
The kids don't have 'freezing cold' in their neck of the woods.

They were up EARLY, out the door and zealously raking the leaves.


They discovered every possible way to play with the leaves . . .

tossing them into the air,
raking them into a pile and jumping,
getting buried in them.

They really liked the GETTING BURIED game.



Meanwhile, Jill was helping me marinate portobello mushrooms & chicken for grilling.

Not that she would be eating them. Noooooo. My dear daughter-in-law was simply eager to help me. (That's Jill!)
I was barbequing for 14 dear friends from my old neighborhood.



After Mama Jill got a shower and the kids had some more romp & play,

it was time for my little birthday celebration crew to hit the road.

There were some stalling strategies implemented by a certain 3-year-old who didn't want to go.


Eventually, they all made it into the car.

Even this one.






3 comments:

K said...

Okay. That was a super huge post. So much in it. And the kids moving to Britain. Holy cats. Happy birthday grandma - amazing. And the wealth promised by a gracious Father to his children - that if they raise their children well, the children will not only not depart from the path, but their hearts will return to their mother again and again and forever. And her sister will make her cakes.

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Ginger!!!!!

What a fun party it looks like you had.

My kids climb all over our railings. I'm glad you let your grand babies do the same. It's part of being a kid. My kids climb up the insides of door jams too. Little monkeys.

My favorite photo and image in this whole bunch is you laying there reading to your babies.....

Kelty said...

That is SO COOL That Jill drove 5 hours just to celebrate with you!! Wow, these are beautiful pictures. I especially like the description of how Kenneth and Audrey played with the leaves - oh to be a kid again! Or at least, I need to find some leaves to play in right away!!! Happy Birthday dearest mom.

Counters Free Counter