Friday, October 7, 2011

Seasonal Surprises


Once again, it's been happening.

Why does it always take me by surprise?
After all, it DOES happen every year.

I have proof: 2009 & 2010

So, early this week, I decided to spend a day with AUTUMN.

I do this every year. Well, since I've retired.

I clear off a full day on the calendar and head to the back country.

My 'back country' is about a 20-minute drive from the house.
(Notice front bumper of new Subaru.)

I travel on a well-maintained dirt road . . . where the traffic is literally non-existent.

I set up my lounge chair under a tree that is ON FIRE.

I read a little and hike a little and read some more and gaze a bit and read a little and listen to the nature sounds.

I try not to think very much. It takes away from the experience.

My dog loves spending the entire day romping around out-of-doors.

In the late afternoon, I take the road back home.

It's the only season when the local GIANT of a mountain stands 'naked' without snow.

You can see it behind the choir of reds:



Here's how our mountain looked TODAY:


The angles are different, but I swear to you it's the very same mountain.

When the first snow storm of the season arrives, we find ourselves reeling.

This one literally POUNCED on us.

It was darn sobering after the recent riot of colors.

Actually, this mountain CAN blush with color in the snowy season. . .

for about ten minutes before sunset.

February 2010

We did NOT have those conditions today. Nor yesterday.

However, in spite of this dreary weather,
I'm stimulated by the textures of the mountain facade.

They inspire me to throw in a few 'effects'.


Taken with a telephoto lens from my front porch - today.

Be that as it may, let me just declare, loud and clear,


It MUST.

After all, the O'Henry peaches were just barely harvested and the Fuji apples haven't been picked yet.



2 comments:

K said...

WHERE DID YOU GO???? WHERE DID YOU FIND THOSE REDS???? Twenty minutes - earlier this week - middle of last week, there wasn't any such color where we were. Yesterday and today we went up the mountain and it was breath taking - and beautiful = and snowing all day.

Rachel said...

Gorgeous photos Ginger!!! I just love your idea of spending a day in Autumn. I want to do that!!! The mountains have been calling me and I've not been able to answer their beckoning....... soon...... I hope. Very soon.

Counters Free Counter