Monday, September 7, 2009

Sustaining Dreams


When I was crazy-busy and rather exhausted during the 80s and 90s, I had this dream of SOME DAY taking a long, luxurious road trip across the North American continent.


I would meet fascinating people and see thrilling vistas.

AND, I'd rest as long as I pleased.


To keep the dream alive, I saved my pennies
until I secured THIS 1977 BEAUTY for next to nothing:


I took it on a trial run to Arizona in 1999.
More than 1000 miles of pulling that trailer with my 3/4-ton truck.

It was a BLAST!
I loved parking it under the saguaros
and listening to the coyotes howl.


Then my 3/4-ton truck got torched
and I had to downsize to a whimpier set a wheels.

"SOME DAY, I'll get a brawny truck again and take that trip."

Occasionally, I'd go and open up the trailer, dreaming my dream.

These shots show the cool interior of MY trailer.


Well, I didn't get around to collecting enough nickels
for another brawny truck.

(Still have the whimpy 1/4-ton Ford.)

And, over the years, the mice discovered my trailer.


And the bugs arrived.


By the time it needed a new roof,
I realized that it was time to say goodbye to my sweet trailer.


Last week, it got cleaned up and SOLD.


The longings of my heart, felt so strongly in the 80s and 90s,
are being met through other means.

Still, my trailer dream
served it's purpose in a REAL WAY,
even without taking me on that long trip across the country.

It SUSTAINED me during challenging times.

1 comment:

Jill Lewis said...

I love this post! You write so well.

Counters Free Counter