Sunday, March 8, 2009

Spoiled in Florida

The last half of winter I become ravenous for warmth, sunshine, beaches. When the kids were little, I'd toss them in the car and tootle on down to Mexico. A room near the beach = $8 a night. The kids frolicked in the water and I soaked in the balmy clime, the rhythmic waves, the sea breezes.
1993 - At the Beach


1995 - My Daughters with New Friends in Mexico


This year, I scored TWO extraordinary escapes from winter. Belize (see my February blogs) and, most recently . . .
FLORIDA!

2009 - Anne & I on Key Biscayne,
a Florida island.



We bunked at my brother's condo with extraordinary views from the balconies.

Early Morning View


Late Afternoon View - Different Angle

Every room had floor-to-ceiling windows with walk-out balconies. Practicing YOGA with the sunlight streaming into the living room just FLOATED MY BOAT!


We took one day to get a taste of the Everglades.
(Yes. I snapped this photo.)


Out on an AIR BOAT TOUR, we were sighting ALLIGATORS, to the right & to the left, when our boat got STUCK. The guide jumped down into those gator infested waters. YIKES!


He survived and we eventually we became UN-stuck. Eventually.

I got the chance of a life-time to hold one of those little fellas with the bone-crushing jaws. It was truly AWESOME!

GATOR LESSON #1
If you stroke 'em under their jaws, they won't bite.

~ ~ ~

We were undoubtedly SPOILED in Florida, because my brother's pad is really REALLY nice. First of all, this is what it looks like when you drive up . . .


Let me just say, those palms are GIGANTIC.

There are miles of walking paths attached to the condos.
It's almost like a little seaside park.


And we dined OUTSIDE in SHORT SLEEVES!
(This restaurant was attached to the condominiums.)


Going to my brother's condo brought back some sweet memories. In 2006, I took my mom there. Although she had Alzheimer's and struggled with simple things like finding the bathroom, she found great pleasure in the sea birds, the sunlight reflecting off the ocean, the bright tropical flowers.


Ken joined us for a couple of days and we took her out swimming. She just loved bouncing around in the water. No concerns about how well her bathing suit fit or other such female silliness. She was simply enjoying herself.

My brother Ken and my mom
Florida - 2006



My mom was living in FULLY in the present moment and handling disorienting circumstances with remarkable grace. This photo at the swimming pool reminds me of those sweet moments together in Florida, just one year before she passed away.

I do miss her.

2 comments:

K said...

Dang it, you. Stop doing this. And no fair having a brother who owns a palace. Wait - did I say "A" palace? I am sitting here, wondering if the snow has stopped, knowing it will make a mucky mess of the arena tomorrow. I'm not even looking forward to spring because I'm almost sure Mr. Obama is going to send it back to England with a "no thanks" sign attached.

Grump.

Unknown said...

Dear Friend,

You make me laugh! Go out there and muck those stalls!

Counters Free Counter