Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Last Visit of Winter?

Taken from my front porch, Tuesday morning.

This week brought yet another round of SNOW. Not the powdery stuff that makes Utah a skier's paradise. Rather, a torrent of big ole heavy wet flakes that collected on the trees, making them look like a cake decorator loaded generous globs of frosting onto the branches.


I have two windows in the corner of my bedroom. After the snow fell, I snapped three photos while sitting on top my bed, looking outside. Each one gives a different angle of the views from my sleeping chamber . . .

LOOKING EAST

LOOKING NORTH


LOOKING WEST

At the beginning of the week, Chica (my dog) had a rather unlucky incident while scampering around in the canyon. I heard her yelp and then she limped into view with quite an ugly gash on her thigh. A mountain lion or a jagged twig? I'll never know. She now sports THIS accessory:

The cumbersome collar prevents her from pulling out her stitches. Unfortunately, it also scoops up snow when she's investigating interesting things at ground level. Makes for a rather Up Close & Personal experience with the cold, white stuff.


Chica and I "broke trail" on our morning hike after the storm. I was completely enamored with the undulating waves of pristine snow covering the earth. The shadows of the naked tree branches accentuated the beauty. I've seen all this before, but somehow it felt like the first time and it caught me by surprise.


Those trees won't be naked for long.
Up in the canyon, the buds of the cottonwood trees are swelling.


Down in the valley, the tulips are coming up.


We've been blessed with a few warm days since the storm and much of the snow has melted. There's a slight possibility that we received our LAST visit of winter. Most definitely, it's my LAST posting on the subject!

Oh! But one more share!
On Wednesday morning, I caught the FULL MOON
setting on the other side of the valley . . .

2 comments:

Kerri said...

You're quite the photographer. Beautiful photos. We were in Utah briefly last weekend. It was so enthralling to experience the early start of spring there. Returning to the yet-winter scene of Idaho was a little discouraging.

K said...

Wow. Moon. You guys got more snow than we did, for a change. YAY!! Isn't it weird how the shadows on snow always come out to be blue? Don't say "this is the last" because there may be more. Good eye, dear Peaseblossom. Good eye.

Counters Free Counter