Thursday, January 19, 2012

Joel in Ethiopia

Recently, Joel and his parents came for a visit to Utah.

The above shot includes the five of us who went to Ethiopia,
Joel, his Ethiopian mom Iman, his Californian dad Mike, and Nancy the Grandma, and me
along with
my son-in-law and granddaughter thrown in for good measure.

I only wrote one blog post about traveling to Ethiopia and that's something I regret.

So I'm going to share the delights of experiencing Ethiopia with 5 year-old Joel as a travel mate.


Joel was beloved by just about everyone. He made friends almost instantaneously.

He loved giving out ballpoint pens to children he met on our journeys.

Pens were in short supply in Ethiopia and everybody greatly valued such a gift.

It's very hard for us to imagine, but it's true.

Joel could be hilarious and he kept us in stitches.

(BTW, these reed boats really do float.)


This little man didn't hesitate to try new things:


(Notice the little girl holding on to my hand in the background of the above shot.
Children would just find your hand and become your buddy before you even realized it!!!)


The Ethiopian Coptic priests would take great delight in giving Joel a blessing.


Literally, he was irresistible!

Like his father, he was always ready for adventure.


Of course, his grandmother and her friend were pretty great adventurers too!



But there's nothing like a radiant child to open doors when you're traveling the world.


Nothing.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

He is just beautiful! Children are amazing. They have no walls.... It is why we have to protect them but in situations like this.... it's true! They can get in places that we as adults would take so much longer to get through...

I could adopt that boy! He is sooo cute!!! The look on his face as he is looking up at the priest. And the gappy toothless grin! I love it!

The places you go... the things you see... the things you do.... You amaze me Ginger!

K said...

Beautiful. Magnificent post. The shots are precious and deeply beautiful. And what a little character! I mean the little one, but I also mean you. Someday, I will invite you over and Rachel, and we will sit you on a chair and just stare at you for our mutual edification.

Counters Free Counter