Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Zoo


Photo courtesy of Deseret News - HOGLE ZOO

I've had charge of my granddaughter Audrey for a few days while my son has been in Utah working with investors from Malaysia. Bringing Miss A back to Utah was a last-minute decision - a good one.

Monday was simply a gorgeous day. When I saw (via emailed video shots) that my daughter Kelty and granddaughter Rella were at the Chicago Zoo, I thought "GREAT IDEA!" I cancelled other obligations and off we went - to the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake City:

Right by the entrance gate, there's a little steam engine which winds around the grounds.

I loved the conductor's fanciful braiding. YEP. That's her real hair.

We took the train ride TWICE: once upon arrival, once just before departure.

During the FIVE HOURS in between those train rides, we studied every single critter in the zoo.

Some animals required LONG STUDY . . . especially if you're 3 years old.

The GORILLAS held her attention for a VERY long time.

I grabbed my phone (not my camera) just in time to capture (in poor resolution) this ferocious-looking yawn:

Miss Audrey was glued to the window.

The same gorilla then rolled onto his back and suddenly my granddaughter began laughing.

He was picking his nose.

The laughter turned HYSTERICAL during Part 2 of the show:

He began eating his booger.


Now THAT'S classy entertainment . . . if you're of a certain age.

The carousel was probably as big a hit as the gorilla's nose-picking.
(Could someone else be in the process of picking her nose?)

There were about twenty different animals one could ride and it was ever so hard to choose.
Now, I'm a GRANDMA not a MOM and that means I am willing to be a tad bit indulging:





We raced each other to the ticket booth between each ride and that was half the fun.



How interesting to observe feeding time!

I didn't know that turtles had such long necks, did you?


Wanting to be certain that my little charge would take a nap during the car-ride home,
we spent a solid 30 minutes at the zoo playground before taking our last train ride:



Miss Audrey fell asleep as we drove out of the parking lot.

I found myself getting mighty sleepy too.

So I pulled off the freeway and we both slept nearly an hour, right there by the side of the road.


I would do it over again in a heart beat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a wonderful day, thank you again Mom!

Jill Lewis said...

Audrey was delighted to have her Grandma all to herself! With sincere appreciation, we thank you dearly.

Rachel said...

Whoa wait! They have a carousel at the zoo now? It's been awhile since we've been. Guess we better head up there again.......

K said...

Okay. Thinkin' it's time for me to go to that zoo again. Haven't been for decades. And again - will you be MY grandma?

Kelty said...

Oh Oh Oh! I love the Zoo. I'm so glad we both shared that wonderful experience at the same time :) I could live in a zoo - sometimes by the look of my house I do!

love it mom,

Kelty

Counters Free Counter