Sunday, August 21, 2011

Shakespeare & More



My friend Anne and I managed to escape for a two-day fieldtrip to attend the
Utah Shakespearean Festival.

One of the best things about the festival is the Green Show which takes place before the evening plays.
It is free to the public, full of music and frolicking and grand ole Elizabethan Era fun.


This was the 50th anniversary and Shakespeare's 'Top Hits' were performed.

Naturally, there was Midsummer Night's Dream and, indeed, it was THE BEST I'd ever seen.
(I've seen it performed dozens of times, so that says a lot.)

The characterization of Puck was absolutely brilliant.

(I mean, he was ALMOST as good as my son, when he played the role.)

Really, the entire thing was done with a great deal of imagination and creativity.


We slept overnight in Cedar City and then took my Subaru up into the nearby mountains the following morning.

The road took us higher and higher in elevation. We felt like explorers seeing these drop-dead gorgeous alpine meadows for the first time.


Then, we came across some wooly friends. A multitude of them:

We crept along behind the herd at a sheep's pace. Soon three pre-teen girls came onto the scene. "We'll help you!" they gallantly proclaimed. One hopped off their ATV and began parting the sheep, just like Moses parted the Red Sea. She effectively created a pathway for us to pass. Obviously, she and her ATV friends were more experienced in these matters of animal husbandry than us older gals.


So, onward and upward we went.

Mind you, the road (now dirt) was quite deserted. The scenery, truly stunning.

Meadows after meadow full of wildflowers . . .

I took great delight in spotting the Western Cone Flowers which grow in the upper ranges of the Rockies . They look like something created out of the imagination of Dr. Seuss. What you see below truly IS the flower:. I simply had to snap this shot and share it:

On the way back, the sheep were headed TOWARDS us. This time, we weren't so shy (sheepish?) about driving through the herd.


The view was quite different as we headed down.
We could see ribbons of red rock country along the mountain ranges.

What majestic, wild scenery!


We snagged the very last tickets for a matinee of the Music Man, the perfect finale for our mini-holiday.

BTW, Anne has an extraordinary gift in the humor department.

Her off-handed remarks caused me bust up about 10 times an hour.

Here's the only shot I got of her:


Anne is also an artist of great acclaim. You can see her works here and here.

2 comments:

K said...

What? WHAT? You don't rank ME right UP THERE in the PUCK category?? I was the FIRST PUCK YOU EVER KNEW. And I still remember most of my lines, even though I dropped one or two in the old days. I can't believe that shredded jeans and flowers in our hair and flutes and recorders didn't boost me right up there. And you never told me that kid played my part - that tall blond kid? And of COURSE you took your car up there. How could you not? You would not have been you if you hadn't, and that would have been just super awkward.

So much life to do =

Rachel said...

How fun! Look at all of the things I have to look forward to when the Native's are older!

Such gorgeous scenery.......

Counters Free Counter