Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dining Al Fresco at Eventide

(Young couple in love, looking over the valley from my spa deck. Wedding in September.)

The evening was divine.


Just right for gathering some dear friends and firing up the BBQ grill.

Good thing for many helping hands,

and a special SHOUT OUT to my house guest Dion.

16 of us feasted and laughed during those magic hours of a summer's eve.


Rachel has a tribe of boys she calls The Natives. Only three out of six can be properly seen here.

She (and her Mr.) did manage to plant one girl flower in the mix and she's a bright Gerber Daisy.


As the sun traveled west, everything began turning golden.

Especially the curly locks of my friend Kristen.

We all remarked and begged for poses. She was generous in accomodating our requests!





The sun dipped lower and faces were aglow.


Finally, there were the last brilliant rays as the sun began to sink below the mountains to the west.


Kristen penned these words which captured the essence of the ensuing eventide:

"Doesn’t it look like summer? But oy – another twenty three minutes, and that sun disappears behind the mountains across the lake. And then the air moves swiftly down through the canyons, so that we sit swathed in borrowed jackets and blankets, still enjoying the company. The air was just short of chill, and smelled deliciously of wild pine."

If you go to Kristen's blog, you can find this story (with more photos) and lots of other delights, no matter where you look on her site. Truth is, I'm flattered to be featured on the site of a famous writer and a friend dating back to our first year in college.

Although Rachel (along with Kristen) live just across the valley, she entered into my heart through her blog. I have been inspired by the way she manages her tribe, which includes a special needs son. In just one evening, I fell in love with that boy who fell obsessively in love with my dog. Rachel is a West Nile Fever survivor and the fastest dishwasher this side of the Rockies. (Her kids weren't so bad either.)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh Ginger! Thank you again so much for inviting all of us to your wonderful home. I say wonderful because you are in it. Your spirit is so huge as you wrapped us all up in your warmth.

It was a very delightful evening. One I won't soon forget. I think the world of you!!

K said...

Wonderful! Your shots were so much better than mine! Except for that silly woman you shot so many of, anyway. It was generous, gracious, beautiful and so like you to have us up for the evening. And we all loved it. Yes, perhaps most Mr. L, whose love for Chica was instantaneous. Vic was lovely. Dion was interesting and fun and wonderful. And the planet, from the perspective of your house, was breathtaking.

Now THAT was the first day of summer.

Kelty said...

OH! Another one of your FABULOUS barbeques. Let me think of some good things that come from your "social webbing" skills:

Hmmmm. . . I met Duane! HA! Just one of the many reasons why I love your dinners. Thanks for these beautiful photo's and all the dinners you have provided for me over the years. I love you!

Counters Free Counter