Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Did I Say "Spring"?



From the kitchen window, it looks Spring-ish. Well, sort of.

From the front porch, the true story is told ~


Yep. This was Memorial Day in MY corner of the universe.

The storm cleared up yesterday morning and we enjoyed this view from the street at 9:30 a.m.


Utah's Snowbird Ski Resort received 776" of snowfall over the winter . . . and spring.

My son will be skiing there with his cousins on the 4th of July. CRAZY!

But I'll tell you something crazier.

A couple of weeks ago, my nephew climbed up Mt. Timpanogos from the back side.

With skis slung over his shoulder:


The route he took is FAMOUS for spring avalanches.

This action shot was taken on this very route . . . and it demonstrates what frequently happens there:

(Courtesy wn.com)

Well, my beloved nephew ascended unharmed and trekked clear up to the summit,
nearly 12,000 feet above sea level.

Then he strapped on his skis and did a big-time "Vertical Drop".

Please take a look at the front side of this mountain to appreciate his feat:


The fact he did this - well, it tickles me no end.

I did some winter mountaineering (and a little skiing) in my 20s.

This IS me. Mount Nebo ~ February 1972


Nebo is a neighbor to Timpanogos, but slightly higher.

(BTW, I won a $10 bet with my brother Ken over that issue many moons ago.
He had summited Timp. I had climbed Nebo.

I really loved winning that bet,
because he was so completely certain about being right and it's good to humble an older brother.)

I think that carrying an ice axe was probably a lot easier than hauling a pair of skis.
Still, it was tough. We started from the valley floor @ 4 a.m. More than half the party turned back.
I was the only female to summit. I was extremely happy but exhausted.
On the descent, we slid down the glaciers on our fannies and I wore a nice big hole in my pants.

My Grandma Leah took great pleasure in the fact that I made that climb,
since she ascended the same mountain in her youth.

There's something in our genes. We thrive on adventure. We like trying new things.

My mom celebrated her 83rd birthday THIS WAY:

Helicoptering over Mount Timpanogos where my nephew recently did his daring feat.

And, actually, my son and grandson their 2011 birthdays, in similar fashion:


Notice the green scene out the window of their helicopter.

Loverly.

Please, no more out-of-season winter trickery til December. I mean it.

With that emphatic statement, I'm signing off to head up the canyon for my daily jaunt. My dog is giving me THAT LOOK.

6 comments:

K said...

I think he was absolutely NUTS. And you were, too. What if - as happened to the son of a woman G used to hometeach - you had hit a seam in the glacier and disappeared, never to be found for twenty years? There were several people in that seam when they finally found it - people missing, families so devastated - because sliding down the glaciers was iffier than anybody thought. If I'd have lost you, I'd be SO FLIPPING MAD. Adventure is one thing, but risking a future is another. SO, I'm not thrilled he went, darn it.

But I'm thrilled you shot these pictures and showed them to me. And that it didn't rain today, and the river is down to just over 1400 cfs - it was almost 2000 over the weekend. We'll see what tomorrow brings. NO avalanches, tornadoes or earthquakes - PLEASE.

Ginger said...

Oh, Kristen! How I love you and your fierce loyalty as a friend. You growl in a loving, caring way!

Okay. There is definitely that element of danger. I used to allow my son to camp with his friend and his dog up in the mountains between the ages of 11 and 14. He felt like the original Huckleberry Finn and it built character. Once, there was a bear pawing around their tent. Once, there was a nude man running right by their camp. Very risky stuff. In my opinion, it was worth the pay-offs were big and I truly believe it strengthened self-confidence in a way that would be unattainable in Safety Proof Environment.

Sort of like horseback riding, dear Kristen. People who work in emergency rooms have seen too many brain injuries and broken necks from the horse who got away or was a bucker. So, we choose our risks as we measure them against the rewards.

That's how I see it, anyway.

K said...

LOL - that's exACTLY the response Guy always gives me when I tell him he can't hang glide or something - WHAT ABOUT HORSES? And, of course, there is no answer. I'm afraid, though, that if the bear had gotten in, history might have given my perspective a bit more weight.

LOVELOVELOVELOVE!! And I'm still glad you didn't hit that seam!

Jim Knight said...

Nice post Ginger. I think I have the actual ice axe you're holding in the picture on Nebo. BYU Alpine Club?

Yes, we had mega snow this year, and I'll be enjoying many more ski sessions yet on Timp and local peaks.

All the best!

Jim

Kelty said...

Love, Love, Love these shots of the canyon! I also appreciate how you weave several different stories into one. Truly, hiking mount Nebo was a feat, mom!

Rachel said...

I'm clenching my butt cheeks thinking of your nephew. Glad he made it up and down safe. Crazy people! All of you! I like the way your mother saw Mt. Timp. :D

Look at that photo of you! :D Long curly hair. Gorgeous then, gorgeous now.

Yesterday I FROZE. Until I got to church where they had THE HEATER ON! I thought I was going to die of suffocation.

Counters Free Counter