Saturday, April 16, 2011

Southern Hospitality


Not only did the churches of Lumpkin County welcome me to town of Dahlonega . . .


. . . the LOCAL RESIDENTS themselves have been giving me a pretty fine welcome, as well.

You would think I was the ONLY person from west of the Mississippi to ever go to Lumpkin County!

I've been introduced to people, right and left, as "Miss Ginger, all the way from Utah."

Southern hospitality is ALIVE and WELL, let me tell you.
I've had more supper invitation since my arrival in Georgia than I'd received in the last six months at home.
Here I'm a special commondity. A foreigner!

Yesterday, I wandered up through the Appalachian Mountains in my rental car
with the sunroof open and windows down, letting in the fresh air.


Have to say, those mountains are more like rolling hills to folks who live in the Rockies.
Quite lovely in their own right.

Little family farms and ranches dot the countryside. Lots and lots of them.

Tractors which we'd call "antiques" are still in use on these little bitty family operations.


There are plenty of really old churches up in the "hollers", like the one below.
This is Cane Creek First Baptist Church,
established in 1866.


Cane Creek's cemetary was quite fascinating.

Many of the headstones were of Confederate soldiers.

Southerners still honor those grave sites with the Confederate flag.
They also fly Confederate flags in front of their homes. The Civil War isn't quite over in Georgia.

I have been entertained by the meal options here in Georgia. Different grub than I get back home:


Today I chose the crawfish with fried pickles and I wasn't disappointed.
A meal to remember. BTW, they tossed on a mess of collard greens and okra as freebies.

These Southerners are courteous people.
Even the country hillbillies - folks who can't properly conjugate verbs - have manners that would put sophisticated Californians to shame.

That includes the children.

At the motel, a six year old introduced herself as Lila and then asked my name.
"Ginger." I said as I stooped down to meet her eye to eye.
She smiled and speaking in a thick Southern drawl, she remarked,
" That's a right purty name, Miss Ginger. It fits you cuz your a right purty lady."

4 comments:

K said...

Wow. Lovely. And you should see MY tractor, Mz Ginger - Ah, the green. Georgia - where my research grinds to a halt.

Rachel said...

Ohhh! She's right. You are a right purty lady Miss Ginger!

Those photos make me want to come and visit so bad! Oh I am just drooling and wanting a dang front porch!! Why in blue blazes do we not have front porches in UT! Dang shame if you ask me........

Robyn said...

Um, this is totally adorable!!! I love your inclusions of the dialogue and the pictures. I want to go to the South!

victoria said...

Wow! This looks like such an amazing trip! Glad your enjoying yourself Ms. Ginger :)

Counters Free Counter