Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Georgia in Bloom

A $78 flight deal inspired me to catch a plane to the Deep South where the dogwoods are blooming.
Back home, my crocuses are covered by a blanket of snow . . . Grrrrr.

The greatest American story tellers came out of the South:

Mark Twain, Harper Lee, Margaret Mitchell, Fannie Flagg, Maya Angelou, Eudora Welty,
Flannery O'Conner, William Faulkner . . . and those are just the once at the top of my brain.

I decided that it's high time I get some real CONTEXT for this rich southern culture
which is vastly different from my Utah pioneer heritage.

Add to that lofty desire, it's WARM here. Like, no boots, coats or even sweaters.

I plan to tour those old plantation manors and three will provide me lodgings,
at a total outlay that's less than a modest hotel for one night in NYC.

Will I meet any granddaughers of Ms. Scarlett O'Hare at a debutante ball?


Probably not, seeing how Scarlett really came out of Margaret Mitchell's creative brain.

And, let's face it: if they did exist, they couldn't be any more luscious than my own daughters,

wh0 could've passed for Southern belles, headed off to a debutante ball.


Both Leah and Kelty wore the same lovely lavender dress, two years apart, for their high school proms.


And what a promenade they had!
As their names were read over the loudspeaker,
they dramatically descended the steps of the old county courthouse.

Mind you, all that took place in the Rockies.
Now theses gals have husbands and babies and Big Girl Lives.

****************************

Last night I dined on fried alligator.

It requires lots of chewing, let me tell you.

I decided it was the best thing I've eaten so far.

(Okay. It was my first meal.)

Hey, here's a SHOUT OUT to MJ and T who are keeping the home-fires burning.

More coming.

3 comments:

K said...

I wish I'd known you were going. I've wanted to do down there for so long. But with me, you'd have ended up in dusty courthouses, buried in mountains of old documents. Take lots of pics, then, my friend, and tell me the stories = because I only know names and dates, but haven't seen a whole lot of the world those names lived in.

Rachel said...

Okay, I was with ya till that whole fried alligator part. I'll take the skin though for a fabulous pair of boots or a purse or something. :D

I LOVE SCARLET O'HARA! Love love love the movie Gone with the Wind.

Ya know.... I don't know anything about the deep south either! I've two sisters that have moved to and live in Texas now. I hope to visit them soon. '

Wow! To go and visit some plantations.... sounds so fun! Enjoy your trip Miss Ginger!! You're not missing much here... Still freezing!!

Can't wait to see more! Well, unless it involves alligators.. shudder.

blueroserider said...

I forgot to ask you what part of Georgia. I spent 5 months of my mission in Thomasville. Your pic of the dogwood brought it flooding back. And the other crazy thing I loved was the Spanish Moss. Facinating...beautiful...and kinda creepy. Have fun, my friend.

Counters Free Counter