Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving 2010


When my grandkids come to town, I play second fiddle to my dog.

Might dear Chica be thirsty?

Audrey generously shares a sip from her 'sippy cup'.

Might dear Chica be in need of medical attention?

Kenneth checks her heartbeat and decides she needs shots. LOTS of shots!


But they turn to Grandma Ginger (not Chica) when they want bedtime stories.


With help from Victoria, Arian, Jill and Eliza,

a large mound of yams and potatoes were peeled and cooked,

a bowlful of fresh green beans were dressed up with crunchy onions,

the fruit platter, leafy salad, rolls, dressing, gravy, cranberry sauce were fixed up and laid out,

the turkey was hoisted from here to there,

the table was set.

AND . . .

there was time to lay aside preparations and take a canyon hike.

It was a nippy afternoon.

Didn't check the thermometer, but weather.com recorded 7* F. on Thanksgiving Day.


Here are the represented foreign lands at our dinner table, starting on the left and going around the circle: Ireland (my niece going on a mission there in January), Canada (my goddaughter), Philippines (two fine young men), Hoytsville, Utah (my daughter-in-law and YES it's an exotic foreign land), Russia, and finally China.

(RUSSIA and CHINA get the largest font since a brother of mine is living in RUSSIA, a sister in CHINA.)

Hats off to the International Student Department of our local university!

Upon request, they supplied me with a list of their kids who didn't have any Thanksgiving plans.

This year, I thought I would be getting eight,
but the four who came were absolutely STELLAR and I'm glad the other students found a place to go.

Can you tell which two in the photo above, appear in the photo below?


Taken during the holidays 17 years ago:

Eliza, now headed off to serve a mission in Ireland,

on the shoulders of my son, Arian.

1 comment:

K said...

This is the Arian I remember - that face. Oh, that face. It's kind of a hard thing to have to compete with a dog-face buddy - but then, Chica is taking some of the pressure off the grand person. Which can be good. I love the description of the process of dinner. This is so happy.

Counters Free Counter