Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Losses & Gains

Last summer, I lost a brother to RUSSIA.
Ken and his wife are overseeing the LDS missionary work in that smoke-filled part of the world.

This summer, I'm losing a sister to CHINA.
Wendy and her husband Byron heading out to teach English at a university in Nan Jing.
I don't know a THING about Nan Jing.
It just sounds very far away.


Wendy & Byron are highly energetic and up for a challenge.
It's hard to believe this very FIT sister of mine birthed 9 children
and then raised another one, to boot!
Byron is nearing 70, but he's not too old to compete in a 110-mile bike race,
hitting the finish line in 6.5 hours.

Currently, W & B are picking up Chinese in 'Crash Course' style.

(Three sisters, together for the last time in a long, long while.)

Wendy and Byron leave.

Others come.

Today,

CARLOS & CARLA

visiting from Madrid, Spain.

(Shot taken a few short hours ago.)

On Friday,
my cousin Jim and his daughter, arriving from Texas

On Monday,
my goddaughter Vic and her sister Brianna, blowing in from Calgary, Canada.

I believe they'll be staying for a week or two until they head back to college.

Life seems to a constant interplay between losses and gains.

Or is it just MY life?

3 comments:

K said...

Mine is not so dramatic and exotic. And death is playing a roll, both with people and animals. But in the end, as I see and read you, I know that the losses are actually counted as gains - you would never thrive in a static environment - dynamic for you, and when the changes mean that someone, half a planet away, may have his or her life changed forever for the good, I don't think you count the vector, even having left you behind, as a loss.

Kelty said...

Well said - and I think this "losses and gains" thing is especially poignant in your life because you care so much about so many! Love you

victoria said...

Bree and I are a gain right???
:)
we will stop in Logan and unload our PACKED car in Logan, then come on down. I am really excited to see you!!!

Counters Free Counter