Thursday, August 5, 2010

Late Summer Thunderstorms

Above shot taken from my bedroom window.

Amazing drama in the skies over the last 24 hours.

Lightening, thunder. More lightening, more thunder.

Buckets of rain . . . then sun . . . then rain again.


(Actually, this is typical for Utah during the last half of summer.
Still fills me with AWE.)

This morning, my grandson and I ventured out for our daily hike,
in spite of the weather.



When Chica became fearful of the thunder,
Kenneth crouched down and covered his Best Friend with his umbrella,
providing a sense of safety for the quivering creature.


At one point, the tempest was truly RAGING.

We took refuge in a shallow cave at the mouth of the canyon.


Soon the skies mellowed and we were back to a drizzle.

We came across my drenched neighbor Janet, her white hair plastered to her head.
She exclaimed, "Isn't the weather marvelous?!"

Thanks, Janet, for the photo AND your enthusiasm for the storm.


More coming on Mr. K.

3 comments:

K said...

AMAZING - but so glad you weren't hit by the lightening. The shots - wonderful, breathtaking. I loved these storms. My soul needed them. Constant blue skies and heat are as oppressive in their own ways as the January gray and white and cold. Last night, I was so glad to see lightening again - but nothing came over us until the cloudburst. Lightening hit trees twice in the neighborhood in the last two days. That is a little daunting -but the winds and the soaking rain - marvelous. We have needed the rain and I thought it would never come.

Jill Lewis said...

Thanks a million for delighting Kenneth's heart with a fabulous week. He simply can't stop talking about everything he experienced. When I asked him if he missed us he quickly replied with, "No. I was having too much fun!"
Thank you sincerely.

Jill Lewis said...

Mom,

Just read this one as well (it's Arian again). You did so many fun things with Kenneth...next time I want to be your house guest for a week :). Thank you so very much for being an incredible grandma and for going the extra mile to do so many fun things with Kenneth. We sure love and appreciate you.

Love,

Arian

Counters Free Counter