Monday, May 17, 2010

The Iberian Peninsula

With dear friends from 'way back'
I walked the steps of history in Spain and Portugal.

And BOY what a view!

I lived in Spain during 1973
and again
from 1975 - 1976.


And I happened upon THE BEST collection of Spanish friends.

A BIG THANKS to
Enrique, Alicia, Carlos, Jorge, Isabel, Jesus & Katerina
for being willing to cart me around through the Iberian Peninsula.
and make me FALL IN LOVE with Spain all over again.

Every town (and I went to MANY of them)
boosts a knock-out cathedral.

Inside and out, they are simply ASTOUNDING.

Mis amigos took me to the following historical villages and cities in Spain:

Avila, Miraflores de la Sierra, Madrid (of course!),
Oropesa,
Trujillo, Caceres,
Cadiz, Ayamonte, Barajoz and Placencia,
and maybe a couple of other places I don't recall at the moment.


Then there was Portugal:

Faro, Lisbon and Evora.

My favorite town of all was Ayamonte,
right on the border of Spain and Portugal.

It's downright quaint. Next to the sea.
Several lovely benches in the plazas, decorated with Spanish tiles.


Don't tell me I'm a really LUCKY gal.

I know it. I absolutely know it.


Now, I'm back HOME to enjoy the tail end of
Springtime in the Rockies.

4 comments:

Otter said...

Aunt Ginger!
I am enjoying your blog so much and living vicariously through you! I especially loved your posts about Ethiopia, what a beautiful place and people. Travel home safely!
XOXO
Sarah

Kelty said...

These pictures are gorgeous - I can't believe some of the real castles and tilework you have on here. What great hosts the cantos's must have been. You look great in all of these - did you enjoy the food?

Jill Lewis said...

Amazing! I can't wait to hear the details from you personally!

K said...

Ach - I am going to have to rub salt on your feet. You make me feel like a lump of American asphalt, for heaven's sake. But here is the question burning in my fingertips:

Was there a boy on a motor bike, and did you disappear in a swirling mass of ribbons at midnight? Or is he gone now, in bed by nine, his cape packed away in some very real and grown-up closet somewhere?

Counters Free Counter