Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Ancient Ports



My travels have taken me to some ancient ports in the Mediterrean Sea . . .


. . . where ancient trees have weathered centuries of history . . .

and ancient people made their mark . . .


and their decendents are currently reeking havoc.

(Yes. I experienced a demonstration personally.
No. It wasn't on the Acropolis, as happened 12 hours ago.)


My dear niece Jennifer hosted me in her amazing FOUR -STORY home in Athens.
(She does have an elevator so the four stories are manageable.)
This is a lousy photo of us together, taken by her ancient Greek piano teacher,
with shaky hands.

This dear gal served as an able tour guide, as well as a gourmet cook.

I'm getting fat, believe it or not.
In Greece, the locals eat feta cheese in 'gallon size' containers.

and buckets full of olive oil.
In fact, they eat more of THAT golden liquid per capita
than in any other country in the world!

More later about island hopping in this delightful country.

However, I'm on the road again and my friends in Spain are shoving me out the door
for a car trip to Portugal.

Thanks again, Jennifer!

4 comments:

Leah said...

WOW, so amazing and such fun facts to hear. Can't wait for all the details when we are in Utah!

Kerri said...

I love hearing about your adventures. Have a great time. You're so full of fun!

K said...

Wow. Ever since I read The Moonspinners, I have been fascinated at the thought of Greece. And my father built the TWA terminal in Athens - he brought me treasures from there. But here are you, being there. And seeing demonstrations. The world is in an odd place right now - it's all on a knife's edge-

Kelty said...

wow mom,

What a neat thing that you could spend time with Jennifer. It looks beautiful there - but the situation with the riots is amazing, in the sense that people are willing to stand up for what they feel is right in goverment spending. you are going to have some great stories to tell when you get home!!! Keep up the great posts!!

Counters Free Counter