Sunday, March 21, 2010

Treasured Things

In my home, there's always been an assortment of dress ups.
It seems like ALL children love the chance to become someone else.
Someone WILDLY different!

I totally love seeing children TRANSFORM as they adorn themselves
with treasures enjoyed by my own children long ago.

These girls come to my home for something called 'Activity Days'.
(It's a program of the L.D.S. Church.)
We always manage to have a splendid time together.

Spring beckoned us outside
and we wound up drinking St. Paddy's Day punch
and munching on chips and salsa
on my OLD PICNIC TABLE.


When I say OLD, I really mean it.
20 years, more or less.

Every spring, my son repainted it.
Then, we'd enjoy a season full of outdoor meals.

In fact, TODAY my goddaughter and I ate Sunday dinner there
with a friend . . . who is camera-shy.


So great to have Vic back on the home front!

I fired up the grill and barbecued shrimp
in honor of her Spring Break.


We dined until we were completely stuffed.

Then our beloved picnic table seat GAVE WAY
and my friend & I nearly fell on the ground!

Dry rot.

Every Spring, my son would tell me it was time to get a new picnic table.
Well, I now agree with him.

It's time.

I'll miss my dear old redwood picnic table.
It's 'been there' through many seasons of my life.


5 comments:

K said...

Just when I was getting all sad and saggy over change - but really, I wish our table would finally give a last groan and fall to kindling. I'd like one that wouldn't give me splinters. So I guess passing along might not always be the worst thing.

Duane Johnson said...

That was a good story!

Jill Lewis said...

I remember my first Sunday dinner on that table! It was with you, Duane, and Kelty - my boyfriend Arian happened to be in Las Vegas. I also remember creating floral centerpieces with Leah at that table in preparation for our wedding party in your backyard. Fun memories!

Leah said...

Ha, ha, I got a chuckle about the seat breaking. Happy new table shopping! Check out craigslist.com. Can you tell me just exactly how you grill your shrimp????

K said...

By the way, those girls are the luckies EVER to have YOU be their leader. They'll never forget it. NEVER.

Counters Free Counter