Sunday, February 21, 2010

Squaw Peak Reflections



A photographic abstract,
taken recently near my home
and then slightly modified with modern technology.
I wanted to share the dramatic effect
of LIGHT reflected off the canyon peak -
SQUAW PEAK.
Actually, it looks somewhat like this on winter mornings.
Slightly different colors.

When my youngest daughter was about 9 years old,
she and 2 similarly-aged girls climbed to the top of that peak -
trekking several miles up the back side of the mountain.

I called her home for dinner (-she DID have my cell phone - )
and was told that they would NOT be home until the next morning.
THEY WERE TRULY CAMPING.
Cooking their own dinner over a fire.
Outfitted with MY camping gear.

Did I miss her request for such an activity,
nodding as I focused on Other Things of Significance?
She affirmed that the permission had been granted.

Night was coming on and there are no roads leading up there.
What was a mother to do?

I phoned the parents of the other girls.
They too were clueless about this camping adventure.
However, they had so many children
and so many concerns.
It seemed that the issue rated LOW on their Concern Radar Screen.

I decided that I better play it cool.

After all, Kelty sounded HO HUM on the phone,
even with the impending darkness.

Fortunately, it was a warm evening.

And they DID survive the night,
as one can easily surmise from a recent photo of
our three outdoorsy musketeers . . .


They wouldn't have survived in the CURRENT weather conditions.
It is snowing HARD as I type.

Thank heavens that glorious springtime is around the corner
and such conditions will change.


Last week, I took this shot along the trail at the base of Squaw Peak.


The February sun warmed these rocks
and there was a bit of COLOR.

At this time of year,
we are STARVED for color.
Last winter I found it in rose hip berries and multi-colored lichen
- HERE.
My friend K found it with a red rocker on a yellow porch - HERE.

Aren't we all looking?

We, in the cold parts of the country.

1 comment:

K said...

And I would have run screaming up the mountain, carrying a shotgun, and fallen off a cliff. NINE YEARS OLD? I am now gray-haired. I wasn't fifteen minutes ago =

Counters Free Counter