Monday, October 5, 2009

Our Farmers Market

.
One of the joys of the harvest season is our downtown farmer's market. It opens in June and continues running every Saturday until mid-October. The setting is a century-old park with big ole trees planted by the pioneers, a scattering of picnic tables, and large shaded grassy areas.

I go to the market to buy the fresh organic produce grown by the very people who receive the dollars out of my wallet.

I also go to meet up with friends who are ambling through the market. People are usually in congenial spirits. We chat as we sample produce, hummus and salsa.

If I'm up for lunch, I can go for Hungarian, Lebanese, Mexican, Polish, Southern BBQ, Argentinian empanadas, and the best thing is that most meals are below $5.

People are in happy spirits at the market.


Vendors display their offerings with pride.

There are splashes of brilliant colors.


And all-but-forgotten home crafts are making a comeback.
Like bookbinding.

In the photo below, the sign says "$1 each", but "each" included 2 potholders. Apparently these items were created by a woman with Alzheimer's who crochets up a storm to pass the time and only needs money for more yarn. I happily purchased two and I cherish them.

I'm particularly fond of the colors born out of the earth.


They look fabulous and taste even better.
(If you haven't tried a Utah Honey Crisp apple yet, DO.
They rival the Fujis.)


Last week, I bought bunch of beets.
They were ginormous.
Like nothing I've seen at a grocery store.


After 90 minutes of roasting,
I cut open a beet and the fire engine red inside
was a complete surprise.
WHOOPIE!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

I am glad to see the Provo Farmer's Market is doing so well. I was working for the Provo Art's Council in 2002 when we were involved in starting it on the city hall parking lot. I love our farmer's market too. I am happy because right now we have lots of nuts. Happy Eating!

Robyn Stagg said...

You are so cute Aunt Ginger! I need to go to that Farmer's Market. Kevin and I have been wanting to go for months.

Leah said...

I am jealous, seriously. I would do all of my shopping at a farmers market if I could. So great to buy local fresh foods. Those potholders were dashing, I would have bought some!

K said...

The best thing that has happened in months is GINGER'S NEW CAMERA. I lOVE having your eyes to see with. I need to haul you along everywhere. What a gir for color and for the brilliance of life. Maybe we'll run into each other at the fair before the autumn runs out. Specially loved the shots of the apples.

JH said...

Beautiful photos. We are fortunate to have a wonderful "farmer's market" here too. It's called "Laiki Agora" and happens every Friday. I can relate to your joy in fresh produce produced locally.

Counters Free Counter