Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Today's My Anniversary!



A year ago TODAY, I was face-down on an operating table in downtown Manhattan.


Dr. Ohenaba Boachie-Adjei, the world's foremost scoliosis surgeon, was standing over me, reconstructing my spine, top to bottom.




Nineteen hours later,

I awoke.

TWO inches taller,

and a whole lot straighter.

Even if I did become

rather unusual on the inside.

I don't remember much about the following eleven days in the hospital, but I do remember the reassurance of having my children by my side.

(The shot below was taken with Kelty in my very own hospital room which was absolutely ENORMOUS!)



I also remember my compulsive desire to

walk, walk, walk

the orthopedic floor until my surgeon said

"Stop walking so much.
Your body needs to rest."

Here I am, walking alongside my very favorite nurse, Maxine.

* * *

Recently I returned to New York City for my first-year appointment with Dr. Boachie.

Shuttered a bit as I walked up to the Hospital for Special Surgery, pictured in this sunset photo - foreground, left.


My surgeon's staff greeted me as the Woman-with-the-Blog. (Not this blog, but one about my recovery - The Only Way Is Up.)

Dr. Boachie gave me the once-over and a thumbs-up with a warning to slow down since I'm not fully out of recovery until the end of my second year. Hmmmm.


What an AMAZING journey I've taken
during the last 365 days
since my favoritist surgeon from Ghana, Africa
tore me apart and put back together!


I've been given a second chance at life.

That's a gift beyond measure

and I don't take it lightly.

P.S.
preserverockcanyon.com

made the front page of the Daily Herald
after we held a big letter-writing, survey-taking event
in the canyon on Saturday.

(Moment of fame. Too bad it's a crummy side shot.)

POINT IS . . .

Now that I've STRAIGHTENED UP,
I fully intend to really USE this life of mine
for a few good causes.

1 comment:

K said...

You always have used your life well, Ginger. Remarkably, inspiringly well. And I am never surprised when you say your children were beside you. You, in a way few do anymore, really brought those kids up in love, in creativity, in holiness, in fun - they will bless your name forever. And you being two inches taller? You have always loomed tall in my heart.

Counters Free Counter