Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentines Day!

1982


When my children were just little tykes, I started holding extended family parties where we'd decorate gigantic heart cookies for Valentine's Day. More than 25 years passed since we started this tradition and the kids in this shot (ABOVE) now have little ones of their own. (Between the five children I can identify in the photo, they have become parents to fifteen more kids of the next generation.)

From the beginning of time, I've used the same cookie pattern. It used to take DAYS of baking, because only two of these mammoth cookies would fit in my oven. Now, I get a little help from my local bakery where they still use my pattern.

SEE THE COOKIE SIZE BELOW:

Old folks as well as the youngsters
enjoy decorating their cookies.
Here's my gorgeous 83 year-old mom (taken in 2005.)


For our 2009 party, there were FORTY-EIGHT members of our extended family in attendance. Before decorating, every person - big & small - shared something EXCITING from their lives. THEN, it was time to CREATE!

Bacon & Eggs!
This was created by my brilliant brother-in-law in 2008
and I just HAD to toss it in,
because it's SO INGENIOUS!


Some cookies carried a message,
like this one made by my son.
As you can see,
it's time to potty-train his first-born!


Or this one, by my niece, who just got engage.
Her cookie illustrates the temple where she'll be married.

Some are made in dedication to others,
like this one by my daughter-in-law . . .


Some are just artistically pleasing,
like this one by my godchild (who lives with me.)
Do notice her festive head decor!

I'd call this CLASSY ART!
Yeah to the preschoolers!!!


And then there are those
who just love to
PILE IT ON!

Notice - she won the award for
MOST OUTRAGEOUS!
Everyone gets an award at this party.

Some people like
eating the cookies
more than decorating.
I'm not naming names here.

Some like doing gymnast feats
instead of decorating OR eating.
Additionally,
these two gymnasts entertained the little ones
(Thanks, Kelty & Duane!!!)


At the end of the party,
all the cookies & clan members GO HOME
and I collapse on the couch, happy but tired.


2 comments:

K said...

WONDERFUL!! Now, on A's cookie, is that him at the point of actually throwing himself (the green bit) into the toilet? Because that's just a teensy bit graphic for me. And the temple one was lovely, but she'd best not eat it all herself, not if she's bought a dress to fit that cute, cute figure AS IT IS before eating the cookie.

What great gifts you have given and continue to give those kids of yours. You are amazing to me. That's my girl!

Jill Lewis said...

Great Post! I'm so glad we could be there.

This is A's wife and to clarify, the green object above the toilet is a lamp, the white candy is the light bulb. I wasn't sure what it was at first either! Let's hope this cookie brings good luck to help us get through the adventure that lies ahead!

Thanks again Mom for this wonderful tradition!

Counters Free Counter