Wednesday, September 5, 2012

THE Canyon


I dearly love the canyon near my home.



Sometimes I don't get on my hiking boots until the evening.

If the sun is setting, I select the trail running along the front side of the mountain.

I'm often rewarded by remarkable drama at the close of the day.


I met a man on Tuesday who is cataloging the old mining camps located high up on the canyon walls.

He took me up to THIS place:

No. It's NOT a child's tree fort.

The pine bark has grown fully around the nails on the far end of the platform.

This mining camp was built a long time ago.
My new historian friend believes that it's over 100 years old.


Today I hiked with VIPs who gathered to discuss the preservation of the canyon.

The local mayor, a state senator, the Forest Service Supervisor and some well-spoken supporters.

We hiked up far enough to see this:


A healing balm to the soul.

NEXT POST: THREE DAYS WITH MY SIBS + THEIR KIDS

Yes. All these people are descendents of my parents or spouses of descendents.

How did THAT happen?!


2 comments:

K said...

Your shots of the canyon are always breathtaking. You have a great eye, and a great camera. I worry about you meeting some stranger on the path and letting him lead you up into the mountain, though - he coulda been a bad guy. I am tons grateful that he was just interesting instead. Mining in the mountains - can't have been all that rewarding, I think, for most. I was trying to tell which senator you were with in the group - but I only really know one. You want to save the canyon; I want to save the agricultural lands. I laugh when people think it's a political thing, trying to save the gifts of God - republicans like me do it all the time.

Rachel said...

Oh my heavens! Those photos. Just gorgeous!

I thought the same thing as Kristen. Oh Ginger be careful! I worry about you hiking alone....

I do understand though. It's not like you can live in a safe little cocoon. I'm glad you are adventurous. I'll just keep praying for your safety so you can keep on being adventurous.

Counters Free Counter