Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Base Jumpers



I took this shot @ 4:30 p.m. today.

Base jumpers are becoming quite common in the canyon, even in the most unsavory weather.

They hurl themselves off the edges of the cliffs and free-fall a few hundred feet before opening their parachutes.



It's pretty thrilling to watch them navigating their descent between the natural obstacles.

My dog hates the loud crack reverberating off the canyon walls as their parachutes open.
She usually runs home at break-neck speed.

On the other hand, I usually trot over to their landing spot, wherever that may be,
and get acquainted with these jumpers who inevitably become fast friends.

Sometimes they end up enjoying a cup of herbal tea at my place.

These fascinating people who drop out of the sky,
they are among the many perks of living in the shadow of the canyon.



2 comments:

Rachel said...

Insane!! I would never be able to do something like that! When I went rock climbing once it was all I could do to let go when I reached the top and repel down!!! I'm a wimp.

K said...

See? See? I'm not the only one who thinks stuff like this is insane. May I just say that I was terrified that was going to turn out to be Arian? What I'm really, really earnestly hoping is that every single one of them scares the dog - that every single one of them has a good, solid SNAP before they return to earth. I couldn't even watch.

Counters Free Counter